[cairo] Sub-pixel rendering and image-in-memory backend

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Thu Dec 2 11:52:23 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'm still working on the Squeak bindings for libcairo.

I'd really like some better text handling, though; if I use Freetype/2
directly, I can get sub-pixel rendered and hinted glyphs (in vertical or
horizontal RGB or BGR formats).

However, I can't see a way to do this when using Cairo to render to an
in-memory bitmap. Which is what I'm doing, for cross-platform purposes and to
play well with other Squeak graphics (plus we already have fast BitBlt
routines).

Ideally, I'd think that I should be able to tell Cairo that the bitmap will be
used as output to something with a particular layout of sub-pixels, and it
would use that information to do the right thing for all rendering, not just
text.

But SPR for text alone would be a big improvement.

Maybe there's a way to do this that I'm missing; if so, I'd sure appreciate a
pointer.

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz