[cairo] PDF Backend for cairo

MenTaLguY mental at rydia.net
Fri Dec 3 08:22:39 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 21:55, Keith Packard wrote:

> 	1) High level paths, stroked and filled.  Generates compact and
> 	   comprehensible PDF/PS, but the results with stroked paths are
> 	   "less desirable".

Generally that is what people will expect from the "export" feature of a
graphics program like Inkscape.  There, the priority is generally
preserving the structure of the document rather than rendering
correctness.

On the other hand, when printing, the primary concern is rendering
correctness.  In that case tessellation, pixmap compositing or raw image
rendering is the more desirable approach.

I think "structured output" ought to be the responsibility of a
higher-level API (e.g. the serialization facilities of a hypothetical
retained-mode API), and "presentation output" should remain the purview
of the present low-level cairo API under discussion.

-mental