[cairo] New query functions: cairo_current_path, cairo_current_path_flat

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Wed Feb 18 10:18:57 PST 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 07:25 pm, Carl Worth wrote:
> I've just committed two new functions to cairo to allow the user to
> query the current path: cairo_current_path and cairo_current_path_flat
> (prototypes below).

It seems to me that only the "flattened" version is really needed:

1. It's the only one that returns information that the calling program does
not already have. Looking through my postscript examples it seems that is the
only one used by interesting programs, such as ones drawing text along a path.

2. I'm worried that we will need to support the SVG conic functions. If we
decide that these are approximated by curve-to, it means the callback is an
approximation anyway. Or you will have to make even more callback functions
with different sets of callbacks.

3. I would think a possible Cairo implementation is to immediatly flatten the
curve or to otherwise cook the data so that recovering the original curveto
is impractical. It would be nice if Cairo allowed as much leeway in
implementation as possible.

So my suggestion is that only the "flattened" version be provided.

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak