[cairo] Cairo XCB backend

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Feb 18 10:31:24 PST 2004

On 02/17 09:17AM, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Feb 2, Jamey Sharp wrote:
>  > Cairo's XCB backend can't currently be compiled alongside the Xlib
>  > backend, because both libraries define some of the same symbols. (I'd
>  > really appreciate people's thoughts on making the libraries co-exist
>  > better.) Meanwhile, I set Cairo's configure script to default to not
>  > building the XCB backend.
>
> Just to make sure I understand you. You are saying that there is not a
> problem in cairo, but that XCB and Xlib cannot currently both be
> linked into a single application, correct?

There isn't even a problem with linking, but the header files can't be
included into the same source file without a little magic. For things
like Render's various constants, XCB defines them as enums but the
Render header uses pre-processor defines, and since we use the same
names (sometimes) disaster results. Also, types like KEYCODE and
RECTANGLE conflict; for things like RECTANGLE, they have basically the
same structure definition in both libraries, but KEYCODEs are defined
quite differently.

Again, suggestions for how to make this better would be very welcome.
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/