[cairo] "retained" surface for cairo

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Mon Jul 19 11:23:14 PDT 2004

Carl,

what do think about a surface that draws "lazy" so
that cairo could accept huge surfaces which would
otherwise exceed the X server memory?

Such a surface would apply the transformations on the
client-side so that when the composite operation is
requested we can decide what to send to the server and
what not.

Of course one could do this on a layer above cairo and
draw only the part of the picture that is necessary,
but I now think that such a surface would fit better
into the cairo framework.  I think we could even hide
the fact that this surface is special and use it
whenever someone requests a surface that is much
larger than the physical screen.

The only disadvantage I see is that this surface is
"software-only" and that it dublicates much of the X
server's render code.

Jost