[cairo] Possible Memory Leak Using Glitz Surfaces

Charles Tuckey ctuckey at verano.com
Tue Jul 20 16:27:13 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have found an extremely large memory leak that occurs when using cairo
with glitz surfaces. I have attached a very simple program that
demonstrates the leak. I've run the program (and demonstrated the leak)
against two different video cards: one is an NVidia card using the
latest NVidia driver and the other is a Matrox card using an Xi Graphics
driver. The NVidia card is on a RedHat 9 system and the Matrox card is
on a Redhat Enterprise 2.1 system.

The leak does not occur using pixman surfaces. Also, if the glitz
surfaces are destroyed after each use, instead of using the same glitz
surface all the time, the leak slows down by several orders of magnitude
but is still quite noticeable.

I used valgrind to try and track down the source of the leak on the
NVidia system. It does not appear to be in either cairo or glitz but in
the GL driver supplied by NVidia for the video card. This makes me
wonder if it is in fact a leak, or if I am using glitz incorrectly.

Any help or advice on this issue would be appreciated.

charlie