[cairo] Write ups on Microsoft Avalon

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri Jun 4 18:01:09 PDT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:45:41 +0530, Ravindra wrote:
> Yes, there is too much possibility here. I was actually looking for a
> way to do create a cap and attach to a line. Also, I was talking about
> having different end caps. AFAIK, Cairo uses same line cap when drawing
> a line. The missing thing I feel is support for start cap and end cap.
> In GDI+ I can set different caps for start and end of a line. e.g. I can
> draw a line that has round cap at the starting point and ends with
> triangle cap. So, here we have two requirements actually. One to create
> custom caps and another to have different end caps for a line.

I think that the simplest thing to do is to just make it possible for to
draw custom caps, then if different start/end caps are needed, then
custom caps can be drawn. This won't be too bad since manually drawing a
square or round cap is pretty easy with cairo.

The question then is how to support custom caps. When cairo_stroke_path
is done, that will help a lot. We'll probably also need a way to query
what the coordinates of the butt caps would be so that custom caps can
be drawn without any seams or lumps.