[cairo] performance of cairo in a larger application

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Fri Jun 18 11:00:04 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:38:15PM +0200, Jost Boekemeier wrote:
> [gtkcairo usage]
> Your gtkcairo.c flushes the output for the glx backend only.  But for
> the gdk/xlib backend the output is double-buffered and I think that gdk
> swaps the buffers in the idle thead only or when input is requested.

(My memory is a bit fuzzy, but:) when an expose comes in, GTK
creates/manages the pixmap, then sends the drawing signal; your app
draws on that, and when that signal finishes emission GTK blits the
pixmap onto the window.  So it always updates immediately, not in an
idle handler.

But that was how I had it before pippin virtualized the backend parts
it, so it could also be completely different.  :)

--
Evan Martin
martine at danga.com
http://neugierig.org