[cairo] some fd.o Debian packages; still really need Xlib/XCB testers

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Mar 18 03:29:50 PST 2004

I've done a little preliminary Debian packaging work on several fd.o X
modules. The packages aren't policy-compliant yet, etc., etc., but I
really want people to test my code, and I'm hoping this'll help. Be the
first on your block to run with an XCB-based desktop! To your APT
sources.list, add

deb http://freedesktop.org/~jamey/debian testing main

Currently available are:
 from /cvs/xlibs: fd.o-xau fd.o-xextensions fd.o-xproto fd.o-xtrans
 from /cvs/xcb: fd.o-xcb fd.o-xcb-proto

I have not packaged Xlib with the XCB patches because last I checked,
the display managers I tested crashed with it, so installing it would
break most people's systems. That said, it works nearly perfectly for
everything else that I've tried it on, so I really want people to test
it. If you install all of the above listed packages, you can get and
build Xlib/XCB this way:

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at freedesktop.org:/cvs/xlibs
$ cvs login
<enter>
$ cvs co X11
$ cd X11
$ ./autogen.sh --with-xcb
$ make
<eat lunch or something>

You can run individual applications under your newly-built Xlib/XCB by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path-to-source-tree>/X11/src/.libs, though
locales won't work if you do that.

Please let me know whether this stuff works for you.

======

Prior to packaging these, I did quite a bit of other work on this code.

I made a pile of changes to xcb/xcb-proto, xcb/xcb, xcb/xcb-demo,
cairo/cairo, cairo/cairo-demo, and xlibs/X11. For all the modules except
X11, the changes consist mostly of an API renaming in XCB. (I have one
more of those in mind, and then I think XCB's API will be stable. Yay!)
This renaming was to eliminate conflicts between XCB headers and Xlib
headers.

The additional Xlib changes involve allowing calls to Xlib and XCB to
mix on a single connection. I dropped the old machine generated stubs
from XCL into Xlib to test this: those stubs delegate to XCB, so all
Xlib-using applications are going to make some calls through Xlib and
some through XCB, even without modifications.

I need some feedback on all of this. I have three known Xlib bugs, one
known Cairo bug, and no known XCB bugs. I'd really like some help
troubleshooting the bugs, but even just finding and being able to
reproduce bugs that I haven't noticed yet would be great.

The full list of these changes is at:
	http://freedesktop.org/Software/XCBCompletedTasks#17_Mar_2004

I'm looking forward to everyone's responses... Thanks in advance.
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/