[cairo] GTKCairo development

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 17:48:59 PDT 2004

If Pango belongs a layer above Cairo then Cairo should have no text API at all
and all text should be handled by the higher layers.

If instead you think we need some text support in Cairo so that it can be
blended with other things, then that text support should be Pango, not just a
partial support of text for convenient languages like English.

If Cairo is meant to be a portable API I would think it needs Pango. What's the
point of making my drawing code portable if all of my text code isn't.

--- Carl Worth <cworth at east.isi.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:26:09 -0700 (PDT), Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Would it be too much of a leap to require that Pango always be present in
> the
> > Cairo API? and that Pango is the only text API in Cairo?
>
> Yes, it probably would be. Cairo is intended to work on multiple
> platforms, so it needs to support the native font systems of the various
> platforms.
>
> Also, text layout belongs one layer up from the functionality provided
> by cairo, (since it requires higher-level objects such as paragraphs,
> pages, etc. that don't appear in an immediate-mode API like cairo).
>
> >                                                          I've always thought
> > that it was somewhat unfair that complex script fonts were treated like
> second
> > class citizens in most OS's.
>
> Cairo's part in the solution to that problem is to not get in the
> way. We've been careful to stay in touch with the developers of pango to
> make sure that cairo provides everything it needs to work well.
>
> -Carl

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com