[cairo] PS backend

Rob Taylor robtaylor at fastmail.fm
Wed May 5 19:05:03 PDT 2004

On Wed, 05 May 2004 10:15:25 -0700, "Keith Packard" <keithp at keithp.com>
said:
> PS doesn't support the whole cairo drawing model, and it has some serious
> precision problems in drawing objects, so we want to hook lower than you
> might at first think.
> It might be that the right format for this is PDF 1.4;
> that can be converted to PS with existing tools, moving us from two
> separate backends to a single backend...

Uniting these two backend seems like a good plan to me.
Does PDF 1.4 suffer from the same precision problems and lack of features
(are we talking about transparency here)? If not, wouldn't it be better
to produce PDF 1.4 from a high-level hook-in? This would hopefully stop
cairo from producing overy dumb and huge PDF files..

Rob Taylor