[cairo] PS backend

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed May 5 19:40:02 PDT 2004

Around 21 o'clock on May 5, Ross McFarland wrote:

> my intention is to take a look at cario's back-ends and see what if
> anything i can come up with for pdf. no promises or anything, but hopefully
> i'll manage.

Let us know if you have any troubles; remember that the main reason the
interface between the front ends and backends isn't public is because we
expect it will have to change for most backends.

Oh, and do remember that we'll want to use only low-level geometric
objects (triangles or trapezoids) at the PDF level and nothing higher up.

There are lots of ways to break things when drawing more complicated
figures, and we'd like to avoid buggy implementations (and specifications).

> after discussing the ps issues on irc a while back i, too, have almost
> settled on the opinion that cairo -> pdf -> ps will probably be the best
> solution in the end.

The only alternative I've managed to come up with is to rasterize the
whole thing in parallel with generating the postscript and paint the
necessary raster results on top of the other graphics.  That seems ugly in
the extreme though.

-keith