[cairo] GTKCairo development

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 13:24:46 PDT 2004

A straight x/y layout does not work for all languages. Take Thai for example, I
don't know Thai so I may be completely wrong on this. But in Thai the consonants
are circled by the vowels. A program uses the string 'Cvvvv'  (C-consonant,
v-vowel) but it lays out like this:

v   C   v

Thai also has funny symbols that change heights depending on what characters are
next to them. Dengavi, an Indian language has similar problems. This is really
weird to type on because your cursor jumps around to the different vowel
locations. Download the Thai language pack for Win2K and try it.

You really have to give the strings to something like Pango and let Pango figure
these things out. Pango has plugin libraries for laying out these non-Roman
languages.  Pango needs to handle the font substitution problem so that is can
properly calculate the x/y coordinates. Once Pango figures out where the glyphs
go it can call into Cairo to paint the glyphs.

A simple text API can do "Hello World" in the Roman languages; it just doesn't
work for a lot of other ones.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com