[cairo] Write ups on Microsoft Avalon

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri May 7 07:09:29 PDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:10:38 -0700 (PDT), Jon Smirl wrote:
> The SVG spec uses a little bit of a 3D model. Part of SVG specifies a light
> source in the third dimension and then computes highlights from it. Can Cairo
> implement this piece of SVG?

The one place this shows up that I am aware of is among the many SVG
filters. Filters are near the top of the TODO list for implementation
within libsvg-cairo, (since we want to re-merge it with librsvg which
already does have filter support).

As a filter, it's really just a 2D image operation that happens to
accept some 3D vectors as input. There is no 3D geometry manipulation as
far as I understand.

But as we implement filters in libsvg-cairo, we probably will want to
push some support down into cairo itself, so that it can take advantage
of filter support in the backend (eg. glitz or Render).