[cairo] glitz-glx

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Sun May 23 10:34:55 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 16:18 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 7 o'clock on May 22, Jon Smirl wrote:
>
> > Once keithp gets xserver up on mesa-solo there will be no need to use
> > miniglx anymore. You'll have full glx in the xserver. But, keithp is
> > planning to use glitz as the guts for his GL based xserver. So I'm trying
> > to get glitz up on miniglx right now so that we can run it through it's
> > paces and see if anything it needs in mesa-solo is broken.
>
> I've started that work; glitz has some limitations which are an issue at
> present -- it appears to work only with 24bit visuals.  I added a 24 bit
> visual to my X server (which runs in 16 bit mode) through the compositing
> mechanism, so at least things work now.  But, we'll certainly need to
> figure out how to support 15 and 16 bit visuals with glitz in the future;
> the whole world isn't 24 bits (yet).

There are two issues that need to be solved to get non 24bit formats
working properly. If you've found other issues please let me know.

1. glitz_surface_[read|draw]_pixels need to be updated as they assume
8bit per color component.

2. The standard format names GLITZ_STANDARD_ARGB32, RGB24 and A8 only
works for 24bit visuals. This need to be fixed.

None of these problems should be hard to solve. Glitz should be able to
render to non 24bit formats as it is, you just can't pick the format
with the standard names or use read/draw pixel operations (read/draw
might work if you pass it data with 8 bits per color component).

Have you tried the glitzinfo program? It should be able to find non
24bit glitz formats.

-David