[cairo] Cairo on win32

Maarten Breddels dmon at xs4all.nl
Thu May 27 06:43:40 PDT 2004

Carl Worth wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:07:35 +0200, Maarten Breddels wrote:
>

>>I read on the Dia thread that Hans Breuer also got cairo working on
>>win32. Nonetheless I hereby send a small diff and 2 files. I don't care
>>which patch gets into the cvs, i'd just like to see cairo on win32.
>>

>Maarten, Thanks for this patch. I haven't seen anything else yet, so if
>it's a race, you're winning.

Heh, it's no race, maybe you wanna wait(but not too long) for Hans'
patch to compare.

>>The diff includes a change to the freetype backend, instead of the
>>FcPattern argument, the font create function takes a filename as
>>argument, or a part of the filename(<windows font dir>\<pattern>.ttf),
>>where the <windows font dir> is taken from the registry.
>>

>I definitely don't like the idea of using the same function names but
>with different semantics. If it makes sense to use FreeType on win32, is
>it not just as sensible to use fontconfig too?
>
>I had always anticipated that someone would develop some non-FreeType
>native font backend for win32.

I have a native font backend lying around here, but i still prefer the
freetype backend. I believe the win32 api is bugging when the font are
huge, the transformations don't seem to work correctly anymore. So I had
to set the font to some fixed size, and scale linear, so you lose scale
hinting. It works, but it's not perfect. Let me know if you still want
it :). I haven't seen a 'normal' win32 port of fontconfig, only the one
at the DIA website, but it depends on loads of other libraries. And I'd
like to see win32 cairo library as a single dll and static library, so
that the python library can also be 1 file, which doesn't depend on
other dll's.