[cairo] glitz internal and cairo rendering model

Stéphane Conversy conversy at cena.fr
Fri May 28 07:54:29 PDT 2004

Le 28 mai 04, à 15:19, David Reveman a écrit :

> Yes, unless you save the result in a glitz offscreen surface (pbuffer
> or
> texture),
> you'll need to let cairo do all the tesselation again.
>
> However, I plan on trying to add a new type of surface to glitz, a kind
> of retained mode rendering surface. All rendering to this type of
> surface will be stored in display lists and compositing this surface
> onto a "real" surface will just call the display list.

it seems to me that you are somewhat trying to bend a metaphor, since
it's no longer a "surface" but something quite different.
The other thing I think about is that it would be great to benefit from
vertex arrays, especially
server-side one. The only way to do that would be to ask to cairo the
vertices it generates during tesselation,
and reuse them for successive frames. But it can only be done within a
retained-mode model, such
as svg...
The problem occurs  with other graphical attributes, such as gradients
for example. Btw, what techniques do you use to
display gradients with opengl ? I use textures in my lib...

s.

--
stéphane conversy
http://www.tls.cena.fr/~conversy