[cairo] Separating Cairo from Fontconfig

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Mon Nov 1 15:27:28 PST 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 1:11 pm, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:58:02 -0800, Ned Konz wrote:
> > Hi all...
> >
> > I'm looking at using Cairo for Squeak, on various platforms.
>
> Hi Ned,
>
> That sounds like something very interesting to me. I hope we can help
> you make that happen.

I hope so too! So far it's not been too bad, other than the usual impedance
mismatch between the world of garbage collection and the world of C pointers.

The major annoyance so far has been that Squeak really only allows a single
return value, and so I've had to make new structures for some things (font
extents, for instance). Plus the problems of managing handles, ensuring sane
finalization, etc.

Right now I'm playing it safe and using malloc and free to manage bitmap
memory for surfaces and image targets; I then have to use memcpy to copy the
bits into the Squeak Bitmap structure as soon as anyone needs one of those.

> I don't have anything to add to the fontconfig question beyond what
> Keith already said.
>
> But I did want to at least welcome you (and squeak) to cairo!

Thanks!

I had a good talk with Keith for an hour or so on the bus, and I'm excited to
be putting this into Squeak.

--
Ned Konz
MetaMagix