[cairo] RFC the idea of n-plane color support

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Nov 3 11:17:04 PST 2004

Am 03.11.04, 12:25 -0500 schrieb Jim Gettys:

> > Since cairo provides only an sRGB API, it just assumes that the monitor
> > is already calibrated to sRGB. So the calibration issue is external to
> > cairo.
> >

> Note that this implies (correctly) that there is a project that isn't
> currently really happening: which is to deal with all of the color
> issues end to end, so that input devices are properly calibrated,
> (e.g. cameras, scanners), your monitor is properly calibrated, and that
> the printing backends are as well.
>
> So people who want to tackle that problem would be a welcome.

Hope, I did get You correctly.
In CinePaint we have implemented an complete colour management. The
problem is speed there. As well for any motion and OpenGL application.
Computing the colour in the CPU is expensively slow.

next problem has linux at all:
no colour consistency on the desktop. As the ICC standard knows options
many users as well as programmers will fail. I dont speak about
the current non CMS situation. Recently I saw an very quick
and feature rich application on linux. It had all bells and whistles of
an small imaging application, only it had some problems how to handle ICC
profiles.
Without this competence everyone will have an other failure. So no one
will be correct.

> There may be a starting point in the LittleCMS project to help...

Indeed I use mostly lcms (littleCMS) for programming colour tasks.
Lcms competes easily to the big players in the colour market. It is
an cross platform library, searching for the right place. Its
potention is to serve as brick for an new colour management system for
free operating systems.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + imaging development / panoramas