[cairo] RFC the idea of n-plane color support

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 4 09:10:21 PST 2004

[We want to avoid color space conversions because
after the conversion the backend may no longer be able
to restore the original color.  For instance a printer
may choose to mix the color instead of using the color
from the appropriate ink cartrige]

> able to store arbitrary data in the color portion of
> the cairo context.

Not really.  A token that describes how the following
color tuple must be interpreted should be enough.

> after thinking about it for a bit, truly arbitrary,
> since there's no way
> to envision what types of data an app and external
> backend might want to
> pass though.

That's why I've asked how PDF and PS solve this
problem.

Jost