[cairo] Static caches and thread-safety

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 12 07:51:11 PST 2004

Around 10 o'clock on Nov 12, John Ellson wrote:

> Why do you say that the font stuff is X specific?

The use of FreeType and the Render extension to draw fonts on the screen is
unique in the X environment; that is the combination for which sharing the
results of rasterization will most visibly affect the usability of the
library.

I think it should be relatively easy to structure the font cache code so
that on systems with viable locking primitives we use a shared cache and
on other systems we use a per-cairo_t cache.

-keith