[cairo] Static caches and thread-safety

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Fri Nov 12 08:49:55 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:20:23 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> It's not "sharing between threads", right? As I understand it, it's
> mostly automatically sharing between cairo_t.

Correct. But without threads, the issue of locking goes away completely.

>                                               Having to have a global
> Cairo object for the library (like FT_Library) strikes me as
> inconvenient, especially if you had to add a manual locking layer
> around it.

Right. I would never want to do something like that.

> Various possible concerns about actually locking in Cairo:

Thanks for the good writeup. I think this makes it pretty clear that we
can just put an initial pthreads-based cairo_mutex.c in place and let the
people with bizarre systems figure out the right way to make it work.