[cairo] Scene-level snapping (was: Cairo developers conference call...)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 15 12:05:43 PDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:57:11 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> I've been experimenting with scene-level auto-adjustment to fit drawings
> to the pixel grid.  Here's an example of stroke text which has been
> auto-aligned to the pixel grid.
>
> 	http://keithp.com/~keithp/twin/hershey-snap-hv.png

Do you have "before" picture to help us see how much the snapping is
helping?

> This works best with scene-level information; we might consider what it
> would take to help applications use this as well.

Right. Adjustments lead to spacing errors between objects, and a smart
layout tool will try to reduce those errors when performing adjustments
on neighboring objects. So that sounds like a simple cairo_set_snapping
won't be anywhere sufficient. Hmmm...