[cairo] cairo internal design ideas

Dirk Schönberger dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Wed Sep 22 14:21:06 PDT 2004

> > [cairo] should push high
> > level objects to the backends and the backends
> > should be able request
> > appropriate representation of these objects.

> I don't think this is necessary.  -- Well, it depends
> on what exactly you mean with "high level objects".
> Probably not a GObject, and not a shape, either.  The
> only thing you can pass down is the path.  But what
> would this be good for?  Should all backends implement
> their own tesselator?

Maybe I misunderstood something, but what is a tesselator needed for e.g. a
Postscript
paint device. All is needed for PS is a 1:1 copy of the path composing
operators (moveto, lineto, curveto, closepath and friends)
These operators should used in the frontend-backend communication, not some
pre-calculated
tesselated elements.
If multiple backends can use a shared tesselator, this is fine.

Regards
Dirk