[cairo] Pango/Cairo integration thoughts

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 15:26:17 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 18:07 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> How does this interact with the model where glyphs are composited and
> scaled directly on the video hardware? Are we leaving the appropriate
> hooks in place so that we can utilize the DX10 class hardware when it
> becomes available next year?

Well, my mail is completely about API above Cairo, it would work fine
with sending outlines to the video card.

The only possible addition I could see is that if you might want to
send some sort of hint to the layout engine that the rendering engine
can do subpixel positioning of glyphs.

At the simple level, this is represented fine by returning device
dependent advance widths that don't transform to integer pixels, but
with more sophisticated positioning algorithms in the layout engine,
the layout engine might want to modify its behavior.

Regards,
						Owen