[cairo] Pango/Cairo integration thoughts

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Sep 24 07:01:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 19:53 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> pango_layout_get_size (layout, &width, &height);
>
> Shouldn't this return floats in order to prepare for subpixel layout?

Note the / PANGO_SCALE a little further down; Pango units are fixed
point.

Independent of sub-pixel positioning, there will be some quantization
problems if people try to do layout in coordinate systems that are
massively far from 1 unit per point or 1 unit per pixel and need to use
tiny point sizes. But I don't see this as being normal, and if necessary
people can always cairo_scale() before drawing text.

(There is a bit of a convenience problem from the / PANGO_SCALE; it's
possible that pango_layout_size_float() or similar convenience functions
might be useful.)

Regards,
					Owen