[cairo] SVG Spacewar

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Fri Apr 1 08:10:32 PST 2005

>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:14:07 +1200, Keith Bauer wrote:
>  > Is this not what SVG+CSS allows?
>Indeed it does.

not super-rapidly, however.

the thing is, i'm getting used to thinking of SVG as the graphics
description language it is, describing specific dynamic objects for
rendering.  programmatically, through a C interface, it makes little
sense to be going through a whole 'stylesheet parse' when you want to
update the coordinates/animated positions of various elements,
pre-render.

i guess the thing is, it'd be nice to have the
SVG::dynamic_functions() path mapped with a stage that allows:

	SVG -> describes -> graphics object [changed frequently by app use]

	as well as:

	graphics object -> saved -> XML format [SVG spec.] -> reproduced

.. however, in C, through something akin/friendly-to the cairo/svg API's.

i use SVG to describe, generally, objects which will frequently
change as a result of my app being used.  i don't just use it to
reproduce graphics with accuracy, but also 'flexibly describe things
on the application side'.

in a manner very similar to spacewar, in fact.

>Sometime after I forked libsvg/libsvg-cairo off of librsvg, I believe
>librsvg picked up some CSS support (through libcroco if I'm not
>mistaken).

this approach to the API's (CSS generalized processing) is fine, if
you're not really dealing with performance use of SVG as a graphics
description language, and are really oriented towards 'accuracy
required after transmission'.

but then, perhaps i should be leaning on SMIL a little more, and
throw away my 'hack the SVG DOM for animations' hacks ..

--

;

Jay Vaughan