[cairo] Cairo for Python cross-platform dynamic 2D graphics

Andre Meyer meyer at acm.org
Wed Apr 20 09:32:21 PDT 2005

Dear Cairo developers

Cairo seems to fulfill my wishlist with respect to dynamic 2D graphics
using Python. What I need is a 2D API comparable to Java2D which
features dynamic graphics (ie. programmable behaviour of 2D primitives)
with transparency, antialiasing, splines, etc.

Cairo seems to fit the bill, but now I wonder whether I can use it to
draw graphics that include real-time behaviour.

The other issue is that I need to program in Python on both Linux
(Fedora) and Windows. Does Cairo run on Windows? The recent press
release of Mozilla that announces them using Cairo for cross-platform
graphics seems that this would be possible. However, I cannot find a
Windows package for download.

In the past I have been desperately looking for a cross-platform dynamic
2D graphics API for wxPython, but could not find anything useful. Is
Cairo the solution? How would I make this work?

thanks and kind regards
Andre