[cairo] Unicode error causing Cairo to crash.

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 14:42:35 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:29:57 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> Can we *please* make Cairo (and Pango or any other interface) draw
> illegal parts of UTF-8 as though the bytes are individual Unicode
> characters?

What?!

>             This makes converting existing API's to UTF-8 trivial and
> would greatly encourage I18N.

How does mishandling ill-formed utf-8 help anybody convert existing
APIs or encourage any internationalization? The only thing I can see
it doing is discouraging people from fixing errors.

A call like cairo_show_text is documented to accept data encoded in
utf-8. To call it, users should encode their data in utf-8.

I'm glad to implement good standards such as utf-8. I'm not interested
in inventing new, non-standard encoding conventions within cairo, (as
you suggest here).