[cairo] Cannot unpack cairo-0.6.0 with gtar

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Aug 4 12:11:38 PDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:14:10 -0700 (PDT), David Hollenberg wrote:
> I tried to unpack the cairo snapshot cairo-0.6.0, using gtar 1.12 on a
> Solaris 9 host, to see if I could build it and then build GTK+2.7.5.
> Eight files could not be unpacked - got a "Could not create file:
> Permission denied" error.  Looking at the table of contents of the tar
> file, I discovered that all of files that gtar couldn't create were
> setgid but without execute bit turned on.  I'm not running as root
> when I try to unpack this.  Any suggestions?  I was able to download
> cairo and libpixman via CVS.

I built that tar file on my machine.

After reading your message I did find that I had the g+s bit set on
these files, (no idea how that had happened). I've cleared that so it
shouldn't happen again in the future. And thanks for the report.

As for the problems extracting the current tar file with the goofy
permission bits, I can't offer any help.

Here, (GNU tar 1.15.1 on Linux), "tar xzf" works just fine and leaves
me with no goofy permission bits. It's only if I pass the --preserve
or --preserve-permissions options to tar that it tries to set the g+s
stuff, (which incidentally works fine here too).

So, look forward to 0.6.1 soon with no problems I guess.