[cairo] Variable line width

Leon Woestenberg leonw at mailcan.com
Thu Aug 4 13:45:05 PDT 2005

Hello,

dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de wrote:

>Other libraries (I seem to remember Qt4's Arthur engine) expose such kind
>of alogithms as a "path stroker". Such an algorithm is means as a
>conversion from a path definition as a "series of strokes" to its "outline
>form". The normal algorithms takes into account information like join and
>cap styles, but I assume this could be extended to things like variable
>line width.

In a more general form, the "stroke" is a 3d vector object (a volume),
which has alpha in de Z-axis, and
which is convoluted across a "path". If changing over time, or distance,
this would make it a 4d object.

Most strokes are tent-shaped (or similar), where transparancy increases
towards the edges.
A wetty waterpaint brush, however, would have less transparency at the
edges and more in the center.

Having this would be utterly cool for typography nerds like myself :-)

Regards,

Leon.