[cairo] Another win32 build attempt

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Aug 5 09:20:38 PDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:03:31 +0100, "Hans Breuer" wrote:
> Being enough annoyed of auto*tools versus hand-written
> or hand-clicked makefiles I've succesfully tried a different
> approach with cairo.
>
> It is supposed to give you the best of both worlds. Be
> dynamic where it needs to. But use native tools where
> it can. The tool is called CMake [1].
>
> And the patch (again including some minor build fixes
> for win32) is here:
>
> http://hans.breuer.org/gtk/cairo-2005-04-10-hb.diff

Hi Hans,

Sorry for the long delay on this one.

I notice in the patch that packaging/cmake/libcairo.symbols includes
and uses definitions from cairo-features.h. If using this cmake-based
build system, how is that file expected to be generated?

Earlier today I committed a patch to cairo from John Ehresman that
should remove some of the stdint.h and vsnprintf hoops your patch had
to jump through.

> It would be a pleasant suprise if this one can be included
> with cairo cvs. And YES I am volunteering to maintain it.

I'm still unsure about if and how to provide multiple build systems
within the cairo source tree. I feel a one vs. infinity[*] pull here,
and I'm much more inclined to have one build system in the tree rather
than an arbitrary number.

Meanwhile, I notice that your patch also has an unrelated change for
the win32 backend. It would really help to have things like that
presented in separate patches/messages so they don't get lost.

-Carl

[*] http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/Z/Zero-One-Infinity-Rule.html