[cairo] Disabling antialiased shape drawing

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Aug 6 00:06:00 PDT 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 02:28 pm, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> Billy Biggs wrote:
> >   There has been interest in the past by multiple people for support of
> > non-antialiased shape rendering in Cairo.  See [2], [3], and other posts
> > from those threads.  I will try to summarize the main motivations for
> > this patch:

You didn't mention speed.

If the resulting render will be used in a performance critical place (e.g.
it is an animation frame to be used by SDL), then the performance
difference between "blitting" and "alpha blitting" may be significant.

(Generally speaking, anti-aliased edges will require alpha blitting to
look right).

Another reason is palette-based graphics.

Once again, assuming an SDL backend, you can do some nice tricks
with palette-changes if the surfaces are palette-based.  However
anti-aliasing will screw up palette-based graphics, making them
unusable for such methods.

Cheers,
Terry