[cairo] Cairo bindings question

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Aug 6 10:15:12 PDT 2005

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:09:41 +0200, Paolo Martini wrote:
> First of all thank you very much for the work on this library, it's
> simply the best ;-)

On behalf of the many people who have contributed, you are quite
welcome. I hope you're having as much fun as we are.

> I'm stuck on this issue, from the documentation of cairo_create():
>
>      Note that there are restrictions on using the same surface in
>      multiple contexts at the same time. If, after creating cr_a with
>      surface you also create cr_b with the same surface, you must ensure
>      that cr_b has finished using surface before resuming use of cr_a.
>      Currently, the only way time at which this is guaranteed is when the
>      the last reference to cr_b is released with cairo_destroy(). (XXX:
>      We need to add a cairo_finish() call to provide a way to achieve
>      this explicitly). See also the CAIRO_STATUS_BAD_NESTING status.

That's a stale comment. There is no such restriction anymore, and
cairo will never report a CAIRO_STATUS_BAD_NESTING.

Hoping that's good news.

-Carl

> P.S. I'm keeping a blog[4] about the project, if you care :-)

Absolutely! I think is really interesting work, and I'm glad to see it
coming along again so well. Keep it up.