[cairo] Disabling antialiased shape drawing

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 14:52:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 13:54 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:56:09 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > I'm not absolutely with the name:
> >
> >  cairo_set_shape_antialias()
> >
> > but I can't think of anything better (antialias_shapes() sounds like
> > it would take a boolean) so it should be fine.
>
> For cairo_font_options_t we used the name "set_antialias".
>
> Instead of the above function, should we instead have:
>
> 	void
> 	cairo_set_antialias (cairo_t *cr, cairo_antialias_t antialias);
>
> This name does suggest it would also set the default property for text
> rendering in addition to the antialias mode for the shape. But perhaps
> that's a reasonable thing to do anyway?

The naming and conceptual simplicity is nice. But I see some problems:

1) I'm not sure if it's what people want - turning off text antialiasing
   isn't necessary for full-scene antialiasing without seams
   or compatibility with existing APIs.

2) Turning antialiasing off this way, then turning text antialiasing
   back on doesn't work since you no longer respect user preferences.

3) It makes font options pretty complicated - we have:

 - cairo_set_font_options()
 - The antialias setting
 - The font options from the surface

All interacting (probably in that order of precedence)

> I'm just a little leery about encoding a new term "shape" in the API
> if we don't have to.

Would be nice if we don't have to.

Regards,
						Owen