[cairo] Making pixman a detail

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Aug 10 10:09:27 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 07:42 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

> In the few moments that I've explored this, I'm already lost between
> source living alternately in:
>
> 	src
> and
> 	pixman/src
>
> It occurs the me that with this privatized version, we don't need any
> of the files in the intermediate pixman directory. (Please note the
> licensing information for all files in pixman is locally contained
> within each and none refer to an external COPYING file). So, shall we
> eliminate that and then rename the two "src" directories to:
>
> 	cairo
> and
> 	pixman

The reason I left the 'pixman' structure intact was to make it a bit
easier to split pixman back out when it's ready to stand on its own. I
don't think it will be that long, and I wanted to preserve its separate
ChangeLog and make the different license very clear to developers.

I agree it's a bit confusing to have multiple src/ directories; I'd like
to preserve the cairo/src directory as that makes it possible to extract
old versions of cairo correctly. That leaves us with changing the
pixman/src directory name, which seems fine to me. I'd like something
other than 'pixman' though

> That will also take a little getting used to, but I'm sure that will
> be much more pleasant.
>
> Meanwhile, the library itself seems to build fine, but
> cairo/test/imagediff is failing for me with undefined references to
> "pixman" symbols like so:
>
> ../src/.libs/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `pixman_image_get_stride'
> ../src/.libs/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `pixman_image_get_format'
>
> What am I missing to make that work?

As long as the files get rebuilt with the new pixman.h, it should 'just
work'. Do you have the Makefile.am patch that includes pixman in the
include path?

> The $PKG_CONFIG hackery in configure.in that lets things work with old
> and new pkg-config is really cute. Should we perhaps also add a
> warning in the old pkg-config case letting packagers know about the
> potential binary-compatibility issues and letting them know of the
> benefits that would come from upgrading pkg-config?

I'm not sure the extra noise would really help all that much.

-keith