[cairo] Proposal to disable PDF and PS backends by default for 1.0

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed Aug 24 08:35:12 PDT 2005

Carl Worth wrote:
> As sad as it is to do so, I think the right thing to do at this point
> is to disable-by-default the PDF and PostScript backends and mark them
> as experimental in the 1.0 release notes. This is definitely a shame
> as we won't have a solid implementation of display-and-print in 1.0,
> but we still have a solid story about where we're headed in that area.
>
> And I think it's actually better to avoid advertising as complete
> backends that just aren't quite there yet.

It is sad, and I'm sorry that I haven't had the time to finish up this
work for 1.0.  That said, I fully support your proposal, we shouldn't be
advertising the current state as fully functional print output.  As Owen
points out, another big missing piece is Type1 font embedding, which
makes the cairo ps and pdf backends a bit useless for printing on your
typical Linux distro.

Kristian