[cairo] Re: Avoiding seams

mental at rydia.net mental at rydia.net
Mon Dec 12 15:55:03 PST 2005

Quoting mental at rydia.net:

> I've got a nasty feeling that OSS renderers have been pursuing a
> dead end in this regard.  It's a 90% solution that doesn't seem
> to admit a 10% fix.

However, it may well be that there is no good solution if you want
to avoid FSAA.  We may have to wait for high-resolution devices to
become commonplace to escape the "incremental rasterization" versus
"seaming/aliasing" tradeoff.

In that case, I think it falls to cairo to make
FSAA-via-oversampling (at least) easy.  For that, you don't really
want to turn off all antialiasing (e.g. you still want to filter
bitmaps), you just want to disable approximation of partial pixel
coverage for tesselated geometry.

-mental