[cairo] Meta surface proposal

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Feb 6 14:01:38 PST 2005

Around 16 o'clock on Feb 6, Owen Taylor wrote:

> cairo_meta_surface_t is a helper surface type that is used for surface
> types where:

One thought expressed here before is to use the PDF generated by cairo as
the meta file format, and use files instead of memory to hold the data.
Of course, we could easily stream the PDF into memory for environments
without a (large) mutable file system.

It would tie the PDF backend to our cairo-specific PDF reader, which may
make development in that area more difficult.  But, it would eliminate yet
another graphics "file" format and make it significantly easier to test
the writer and reader separately.

-keith