[cairo] ruby binding, svg api, pdf and FILE issues

Øyvind Kolås islewind at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:18:00 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:14:55 -0500, MenTaLguY <mental at rydia.net> wrote:

Patches committed.

On a different side, I am pondering what would be the best API for
svgcairo, adding xml= and xml methods work out quite well. The current
naming and name space isolation is maybe a little bit excessive.

I plan to add some support for PNG loading, either to load PNG
surfaces, or to load PNG patterns, it mentally feels correct to
somehow group these portions of the API.

I am pondering to temporarily cripple the PDF surface and force the
developer to pass in a filename and not a Port/FILE, the reason is a
"file closing race" which rubyio wins, leaving cairo without a stream
to write the PDF trailer to. An alternative is to leave a broken
implementation that hopefully can be fixed later when cairo gains a
manual flush/finalize method for surfaces.

/pippin

--
Software patents hinder progress | http://swpat.ffii.org/
Web :  http://pippin.gimp.org/