[cairo] How is cairo_show_surface supposed to work?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 11 04:29:42 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:07:10 -0800, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> Ah, of course, that's a useful workaround - thanks! However, how about
> when you want to scale the overlay surface with a non-unity factor, or
> even rotate it? Is cairo_show_surface supposed to let you do that?

Yes, cairo_show_surface is supposed to let you do that. The current
behavior is a bug.

The "workaround" I gave was just a way to get the one image you were
trying to draw. It's definitely not generally applicable.

> Or should this also be done using a pattern?

It shouldn't be any different, (eg. you'll probably hit the same bugs
there). The cairo_show_surface call is really just a convenience
function for the common task of creating a pattern from a surface,
setting it as the current pattern, filling a rectangle the size of the
entire surface, and then restoring to the original pattern.