[cairo] firefox/mozilla cairo support

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 07:37:12 PST 2005

Tim Rowley wrote:

> Speaking as the guy who wrote the mozilla svg renderer cairo
> backend and who does a fair bit of work on the gdi+ backend, I
> can say that the gdi+ backend tends to be quite a bit faster and
> is feature matched with cairo backend (and is currently better at
> text).

Out of curiousity, better in what ways for text? Two things I know
about:

  - The toy API doesn't use Uniscribe and doesn't do font
    substitution, so it isn't very good at multilingual text
    or complex scripts. Pango+Cairo on Win32 should be a bit
    better than GDI+, which has pretty crude Uniscribe support.
    (The Pango part isn't in CVS yet, though...)

  - Text to path hasn't been implemented yet. (It's about 100
    lines of fairly obvious code)

Anything else?
					Owen