[cairo] API Shakeup: A hidden offset for the xlib backend

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Feb 23 10:44:39 PST 2005

Around 10 o'clock on Feb 23, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Isn't this the same as doing a transform before any drawing? I would
> think a library interested in this could do the correct cairo translate
> before passing the cairo context to the other code.

Nope.  Device space remains visible to the application and causes mouse
coordinate translation to break.

Gtk+ creates window-less widgets, this additional offset allows this
subterfuge to be completely hidden from the application.  The alternative
is to wrap quite a bit of the cairo API in Gtk+ specific functions, which
seems like a significantly worse alternative.

-keith