[cairo] API Shakeup wrapup: The plan going forward

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 25 14:01:09 PST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:56:00 +0100, David Reveman wrote:
> Great work, Carl!

Thanks, David.

> Perspective Transformations -
> Maybe we don't want this in gstate but I think we should leave the door
> open for perspective transformations of patterns.

I think you're right that we'll want that.

>                                                   If we just make sure
> that cairo_matrix_t is 3x3 when exposing it to the API as planned. hmm,
> maybe cairo_concat_matrix should be named cairo_affine_transform.

I had imagined a distinct matrix type for doing projective
transformations of surfaces. Maybe that would be too messy though.

> Advanced Filters -
> We need to get convolution filters and such into the pattern
> interface.

Absolutely. Hopefully, this falls into the category of API additions, so
it should be easy to do between "API Shakeup" and "1.0 release".

> Shape Format -
> I'm most concerned about support for sub-pixel rendering, especially for
> text. This could also support aliased rendering, if we want that.

Should also just be an API addition, so simple enough to do.

> > 1) Get any big, outstanding patches committed.
> >
> > 	Basically just David's work I think.
>
> As soon as you give me a go, I'll start writing changelogs and
> committing.

I've been going through, reviewing, and writing ChangeLogs
myself. Besides the little pieces I didn't commit, I'm now up to the
pattern type changes, and I think we're blocking on a resolution of
that debate.

> > 2) Push out one last "old API" snapshot.

Owen has agreed to fix up the win32 backend as needed after your
patches land.

The quartz backend has apparently been broken ever since Owen's big
font changes just after 0.3.0. So, we'll need someone to give it some
attention, or it will just be disabled in this snapshot.