[cairo] reference counting vs garbage collection

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 3 05:31:08 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 23:34, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Sunday 02 January 2005 12:37 pm, Keith Packard wrote:
> > I don't really know what would work best in this situation; either some
> > kind of callback (yuck) when the surface is actually destroyed,
>
> Which would be hard to do with Squeak, since it's not easily re-entrant.

You don't need the callback when you already have a garbage collector
managing the relationships of your proxies and which allows you to add a
finalizer to clean external resources.

The problem is with non-gc languages which must implement their own ref
counting if cairo doesn't provide a callback.

JUost