[cairo] reference counting vs garbage collection

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 3 13:48:39 PST 2005

Around 15 o'clock on Jan 3, Owen Taylor wrote:

> What I'm saying is that the whole fact of having a "PNG surface" with a
> persistant FILE * is an artifact of doing the API in a weird way and that
> if we simply take advantage of being pre-1.0 and rework the API to avoid
> that then we avoid the problem.

Sure, but we'd like a consistent API for PNG, PDF, PS, MNG etc.  One
possibility suggested here is the 'cairo_surface_close' API which
'finalizes' a surface but leaves it allocated.  That would dump the image
to the file (when copy_page or show_page hadn't been called) and leave it
ready to close.

-keith