[cairo] Font metrics under font transformations

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 11 13:13:10 PST 2005

Around 21 o'clock on Jan 11, Maarten Breddels wrote:

> But someone might also want a real shear, so also the [0,height] vector.
> But sometimes (or usually) not, but shouldn't the user fix this problem,
> using a matrix to 'unshear' this vector?

I suggest that the more common case should be directly supported by the API
and the unusual case require additional work within the application. If we
return the 'height' as a distance normal (in user space) to the font
baseline, then the user can do whatever they want with it, I don't think
we're losing any information here.

This definition has the added advantage of requiring no changes as the
code happens to work that way already...

-keith