[cairo] Re: Notes on cairo/win32

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jan 12 10:09:02 PST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:39:43 -0500, "Dimitrie O. Paun" wrote:
> >  - Gamma-corrected alpha compositing. Probably the biggest problem,
> >    because compositing a partially transparent primitive with/without
> >    gamma-correction can give quite substantially different colors
>
> Yes, that's a bummer, and I'm afraid not having it in Cairo would
> most likely mean Wine will have a sub-par graphics engine.

We've had gamma-correct compositing on the Render TODO list for
sometime now. So it's something we do want to do.

> The problem is that apps do all sort of strange things, and we
> almost have to be pixel perfect. Any fundamental reason why
> we can't programmatically turn off antialiasing in Cairo?

No, and it shouldn't be too hard even, (just a matter of selecting an
A1 buffer internally when drawing shapes to the mask). People wanting
pixel-perfect emulation have asked for this in cairo, and I said I
would try implementing it. It just hasn't bubbled up as a
high-priority task for me yet.