[cairo] ARGB, BGRA, RGBA mess

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jan 14 06:32:38 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:52:58 -0500, Chris wrote:
> We are talking about the "image surface" here, right?   Well, at least
> that's what I was originally talking about.

Yes.

> If you are pumping data to hardware, is that not normally done by a
> different surface type? (eg. xlib surface, glitz surface, gdi surface,
> etc.).

You would use some device surface for the target, but you've got to
get the data there. The API we have in place for this now is to create
an image surface from your data and use that as the source, (eg. with
cairo_show_surface or cairo_set_pattern).

And I won't argue that we shouldn't support different formats. I think
we should provide the formats that users find most compelling. And the
most concerned users will do any work necessary. So I'm not too
worried about that.

I'm more concerned about coming up with sensible format names. And the
answer for that doesn't seem obvious to me right now.