[cairo] new cairo gears performance benchmarks

Olaf Leidinger leidola at web.de
Tue Jan 18 12:33:05 PST 2005

Hello!

I just installed the brand-new Xorg-supporting ATI drivers and wanted to
see glitz in action ;-)

Hardware:
---------
AMD Athlon-XP 2500
512 MB RAM
ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]

Software:
---------
Gentoo Linux, Kernel 2.6.9
XFree: ATI driver 8.8.25 for Xorg 6.8.0
Display resolution: 1024x768
ciaro cvs
glitz cvs
cairogears from http://www.cs.umu.se/~c99drn/

The numbers below are in frames per second as reported by the
test. The old values are from Soorya Kuloors benchmark, April 2004
[1] using the older ati drivers on an Athlon64 3200 and XFree
using a Radeon 9800

But I don't know if he could do hwaa - as I couldn't.

Test   backend       normal-size    old values
----   -------       -----------

TRAP   image          10.0 	       9.2
       xrender        10.6 	      11.8
       glx***        235.0	     150.2

GRAD   image           9.3	       8.4
       xrender         8.5	       9.2
       glx***        195.0	     125.4

COMP   image           7.2	       5.0
       xrender       [fails]*          6.4
       glx***         894.2	    2087.0

TEXT   image          20.7	      18.4
       xrender        [fails]****     22.6
       glx***         79.6 **	      61.8

TEXT2  image	      126.0           [no data]
       xrender	      [segfault]        "
       glx***	      592.0             "

SHADOW image           8.1	       2.1
       xrender        [fails]#	       2.62
       glx***         218.0	     133.0

*: X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
  Serial number of failed request:  78

**: there is some flickering...

***: -hwaa does not work:
   Error: couldn't find window format

****:X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
  Serial number of failed request:  56

I'd be interested in why -hwaa doesn't work.

Ciao,

Olaf

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2004-April/001149.html